Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Today I learned what capons are.


Well, today I almost bought, cooked, and served a castrated rooster for Thanksgiving. That's right! Today was the exciting day that I planned out the first annual Hoselton non-traditional tradition of thanksgiving dinner! This year we will be eating duck instead of turkey and while perusing the frozen meat aisle I saw this pretty little package combined with a MANAGER'S SALE. I looked at the price tag and this bird was typically sold for $20! "Ho moly," I thought, "50% off isn't bad--must be a pretty tasty bird, whatever it is!"

So I put it in my cart as you see above and continued my shopping until I thought, "wait, maybe I should see what a capon is in case it's not normal chicken." I pulled out my handy iPhone and Google taught me that capons are castrated roosters, castrated to improve flesh quality and they pretty fatty, made up of mostly white meat.

Although, I am pretty much ALWAYS up for making something I've never had before, I also do know what my husband likes to eat and a fatty bird with a lot of white meat is not one of them. So I tossed the capon out of my cart, but thought I'd share with you all what I learned today!

No comments:

Post a Comment